2022 Driving Mobility and Accessibility on Public Lands FAQ


Once awarded, when do projects need to be completed?
All awarded applications must be completed within 12-13 months of being awarded. The expected timeline is September 2022 to November 2023. 


Projects must take place in one of the following 14 states to be eligible for the grant:
Alabama; Arizona; California; Georgia; Indiana; Kentucky; Michigan; Mississippi; Missouri; Nevada; North Carolina; Tennessee; Texas; West Virginia.

Can municipalities and public-school districts apply for this?
Yes. These qualify under the government agency category. Projects that will impact the surrounding community and not just facility and students are highly encouraged.

Can X site, which is privately owned but has publicly accessible land, apply? It is open to the public for recreation including hiking, biking, wildlife viewing, horseback riding and hunting.
No. Only public lands sites are eligible. Public lands are any federal, state, local, county or regional land or waterway held in the public trust and/or supported by tax dollars. Examples of public lands can include (but are not limited to) national forests, national parks and monuments, national wildlife refuges, and state/local lands that are accessible to the public, such as state parks and forests, community gardens, and urban green spaces. For this grant, NEEF's public land work is focused on lands that are owned by the public and/or supported by tax dollars, not just open for public use.

Can an applicant apply only once regardless of how many land sites they have?
Entities that oversee multiple land sites can submit one application per land site. If you have multiple land sites, your agency can apply for as many of those land sites as desired.


Do the application character limits include spaces? 

If an organization is submitting two applications at one time because they are proposing projects for two different land sites, do two different accounts have to be registered on the online portal?
You do not have to create a new organization account. However, please be sure 1) your proposals list the different land sites and 2) have different project titles.

It seems that one’s application must fit solely into one of the four categories described on the announcement.
This is incorrect. Please select all types that apply to your project. Applicants can select more than one category.


Can the grant be applied to an already completed project?  Can we use grant money to recover our project costs?
Requested funds cannot be used for projects that have already been executed.

Do requested funds need to be matched?
While there is no requirement for projects to secure matching funds, projects that meet or exceed a 1:1 ratio with contributions from non-federal sources will be considered more competitive. Matching contributions may include cash, in-kind contributions of staff and volunteer time, work performed, materials and services donated, or other tangible contributions to the project objectives and outcomes.

Applicants are also encouraged to indicate relevant federal contributions to demonstrate the scope of partner investment in the project. Matching contributions must be spent or applied between the start and end dates indicated in the application.

We have a federally approved (NICRA) indirect rate - is that an approved item for the "other" category on the budget template?
If the applicant has an indirect cost rate they would like to include in their budget, the indirect cost negotiation must be submitted along with the budget. You can list the approved item under Other with an explanation under the description section.

Partnership Letter

Whose letterhead should the Partnership Letter be on and who should sign it?
The submitted letterhead should be that of the land site the applicant is partnering with. For more details on the partnership letter, here are instructions from the application: “If the applicant is a 501(c)(3) organization or education institution, please attach a current partnership letter from the public land site. If the applicant is a state or federal government agencies, federally recognized tribes and local governments, or private land please skip this question. Letters of support should include the nature, structure, history, and/or current activities of your partnership. Letters must be on letterhead and may be addressed to Grants Administrator. Electronic signatures are accepted. Memoranda of Understanding, work plans, or other contracts or agreements will suffice as partnership letters. All letters should be submitted electronically, via the online grants system. Mailed letters will not be considered.”

The XXX Conservation District plans to write the grant, however, we are a quasi-state government entity that does not own nor manage any land. Would this still require us to have our partnering federal/state agency write the Land Site Agency Letter?
If the federal/state agency owns the land the district plans to work on, yes, the applicant will need a partner letter (or equivalent) from the federal/state agency.

Are we eligible for this grant solely as a federal/state/local agency, or do we need a non-profit partner?
As indicated in the application, government entities are not required to have a non-profit partner. However, if you cannot accept funds directly, please use a fiscal agent. Most fiscal agents are non-profit partners.

Template 1